Archived Blog Posts
Mold remediation in Manassas
Mold Removal in Manassas Area
In the Manassas area, mold is a real problem for many families. That’s because it can cause irritation and allergic reactions to people in the household. Mold thrives in humid environment, and as we all know, the summer months are very humid in Northern Virginia.
What is mold?
Mold is a microscopic particle that exist almost everywhere, outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to completely remove all mold from a home or business. However, it doesn’t necessarily need to be removed, nor does it become a problem until the humidity – or moisture level – increases. That’s when mold particles begin to grow in number, and form colonies. These colonies are the culprit when it comes to producing allergens and irritants for people, especially to children and people with compromised immune systems.
Another effect of excess mold is the strong odor it produces. It’s an odor that you won’t want to smell again, if you’ve ever smelled it before. If that smell is in your home, where you and your family expect to be comfortable, and to relax, you'll want to get rid of it immediately.
For this reason it is important to monitor the humidity level in your home, especially in Northern Virginia, where the humidity is present year-round, and the summer months can produce conditions in the environment that are favorable for mold growth.
Generally, you want to keep the humidity level below 49%. This is the level at which these mold particles start to thrive and form colonies, producing the odor and causing allergic reactions in many people.
SERVPRO of North Prince William County properly inspects your home for mold, identifies the cause of the odor, and completely removes it without a trace. Give us a call for more information on our mold removal process today!
Water Damage: Causes in Manassas Park
Water Damage in Manassas Park
Common Causes of Water Damage in Manassas Park
Water damage is something that every homeowner should be concerned about. It can cause thousands of dollars of damage, but more importantly, it can force the inhabitants out of the house temporarily, or even permanently.
So what are some of the most common causes of water damage in a residence? We’ve done the research, and list them out for you below, so read on to find out.
The cause of water damage we have found to be most common is broken, busted, or leaking pipes. Unfortunately, many times it is not easy to even tell that a pipe is leaking or malfunctioning in any way because the problem is out of site.
What can happen is in some cases the pipe can rust over time, or freeze over. In fact any drastic change in temperature can cause stress on the pipe, and lead to minor damage of the structure.
There are a number of ways to prevent this from happening, and a few dollars here is well worth saving thousands later. The most common way is to simply allow the water to trickle out of the tap, even if it’s at a drip, through the night on particularly cold nights. This allows the water to continue to move, and discourage freezing.
Another cause of water damage is accidents. Yes, plumbing accidents. Perhaps if you have children you know what we mean: action figures dropped in the toilet, kids overflowing the bathtub, anything like that. Simply being aware of what your child brings into the bathroom with them, and keeping an eye on their baths should help you avoid water damage in these cases.
Another very elusive cause of water damage is humidity in the basement, attic, or crawl space. These areas are dark, damp, and often times humid – especially in the Manassas area. This environment allows moisture to drip through the foundation or roof. If left unattended – over a period of time – can lead to damage to the walls ceilings, and floors of these spaces. It’s tricky to spot because this happens over such a long period of time, but simply using a dehumidifier once in a while in these areas should prevent any significant water damage to them.
There are many other causes of water damage, but these are just some of the most common. As always, if you have a case of water damage in the Northern Virginia area you can contact us at SERVPRO of North Prince William County for the fastest service in town!
Fire Extinguisher Tips
Fire tipes from SERVPRO
Fire extinguisher tips
Only use a fire extinguisher if.....
*The fire is contained to a small area, such as a wastebasket, and is not growing.
*Everyone has exited the building
*The fire department has been called or is being called; and the room is not filled with smoke.
50 % of Businesses will NEVER Reopen...
Commercial Water Damage
The New Year brings opportunity for new beginnings! Start 2016 off right be being READY!
Did you know up to 50 % of businesses that suffer a disaster may never reopen?
Of the businesses that do survive a disaster, the overwhelming majority had an emergency preparedness plan in place.
Make your resolution one that helps protect you and your business. Call us today at 1 (703) 368-4399 to learn about how we can help you be "Ready for whatever happens" in the New Year!