Fire Safety - Kitchen
Follow this link to see the after photo of this kitchen. https://www.SERVPROnorthprincewilliamcounty.com/before-after-photos/
Fire damage restoration is our specialty. We are trusted experts in our field. We are here when you need us. Before that time comes we like to provide you with information to keep you and your loved ones away from harm. Some disasters can be prevented. SERVPRO of North Prince William County cares about the community we serve.
Grease fires - we’ve heard of them, maybe even experienced them, but what about them?
Well, first of all, they can happen to anyone. The most common reason a grease fire occurs is leaving a pan on the stove unattended with oil in it. The oil heats up, smokes and eventually catches fire. You don’t have to spill grease or have something else flammable nearby. Oil in a pan unattended, heating up past the smoking point, will get to the point it sets itself on fire.
Guess what, it’s happened to me and this may be a shocker to you but it was SILENT! No smoke alarm, nothing. Just flames shooting up out of my pan. I was fortunate because although I did also have something very flammable next to it (another no no) it didn’t ignite.
Enough about me. If this happens to you, you need to smother the fire and take the oxygen away. A metal cover or cookie sheet are good options for smothering the fire (glass will shatter from heat). You can also use salt or baking soda but only for a very small fire otherwise you will need large amounts to dump on and smother the fire. Flour and other items that seem like salt or baking soda are NOT the same and should not be used. It is also wise to have a special extinguisher in the kitchen for this type of fire. Be sure you know what you are using before spraying it, all extinguishers are not created equal. The best thing to do is pay attention and don’t leave the stove unattended and, of course, call the fire department if things are out of hand.
Ok, I’ve held out long enough. I can’t talk grease without thinking of bacon. If you are someone that likes bacon or cooks bacon for others that like bacon…I have a method for cooking bacon your bacon eaters will love!
At first I resisted this method because I thought it would soak up too much grease, yada, yada, yada. I’m here to tell you this method of frying bacon beats ALL other methods. I’ve never seen this method anywhere else (except my mother-in-laws kitchen). There’s no splatter, the bacon cooks evenly and it doesn’t curl up needing to be pressed to the pan. Perfect every time and easy. (I’ve never set this on fire.)
Here’s what you do.
- Open bacon package of your choosing just needs to be sliced first.
- Cover another plate with flour (amount depends on how much bacon you cook).
- I take scissors and cut the bacon in half so the strips are shorter (I like this a lot!!!).
- Dredge each piece in the flour (both sides of bacon should be covered with flour).
- Place bacon on frying pan (I prefer flat electric skillet, so grease can drain off).
- At about 325° the bacon will cook nice and even, flip after a few minutes when the bottom is browned.
- Remove from pan and place on a plate lined with paper towels to drain any excess grease.
- Store in fridge or enjoy immediately. You can even freeze it for quick use in the future. I just warm it up in the microwave when I need it.
There you go! Next time you cook something, remember to be attentive and not let the oil get too hot and if you use this recipe remember it was SERVPRO of North Prince William County that saved your bacon!
Fire Safety - Campfires
Here at SERVPRO of North Prince William County we pride ourselves on being a leader in fire and water damage restoration. Our highly trained specialists are trustworthy and “faster to any size disaster.” Our “restore first” mentality helps keep the costs down and get you back into your home or business faster.
When the panic of a disaster hits you will be glad you thought ahead...put SERVPRO of North Prince William County in your phone NOW. If disaster strikes we are here for you 24/7/365! Call SERVPRO of North Prince William County (703) 368-4399
Having said that...let’s discuss outdoor fire safety.
It’s the end of Summer. School is starting. The temps are high and the ground and brush are most likely dry. You have a lot on your mind while trying to soak up the last days of summer camping and outdoor fun.
My name is Anne Marie and today I’d like to share the rules of building a campfire.
First things first, make sure ahead of time that you are allowed to have a campfire where you are located. (That would certainly put a damper on things.)
Next, check that there are no burn bans in place. If there aren’t then observe the area for windy conditions. Very important so things don’t get out of hand.
You are now ready to dig your pit. Select a spot without any overhanging branches.
Now that you have your pit, circle it with rocks and rake a 10 foot area around the pit. Once completed there should be just dirt in this area, nothing that could catch fire should be left on this ground.
If you have extra firewood/kindling stack it upwind and away from the fire. Don’t leave anything around that could be a tripping hazard.
Never leave a campfire unattended by an adult.
Keep a hose or a bucket of water close by at all times. You should always have a metal shovel as well.
When you are ready to call it a night or leave the fire be sure it is extinguished. This means douse it with water, stir it up with a shovel and dump more water on it. The fire should be cold beyond a shadow of a doubt before you leave.
Please also remember: Only burn wood.
The above rules are not just for camping they are for the fire pit in your backyard as well. When things are easy and convenient we sometimes become more lax with adhering to these rules.
This is a personal experience of mine. I was visiting a friend that had a fire pit in their yard. It was around 10 AM when I knelt down to pick something up in the area of their fire pit. The ground was quite warm. I alerted my friend to the situation. They had used the fire pit the night before. Upon stirring the ashes we saw that down below there were still red coals. There was a plant/weed that had very long roots that connected from plant to plant that grew in the area. These roots had “caught fire” so to speak, there wasn’t enough oxygen for them to ignite but they were red at the pit and carried the heat just below the surface of the ground. If this had reached the woods or an uncleared area this story could’ve ended very differently. What did they do wrong? The fire had been left cold enough instead of completely cold. So, while no one in my story needed to call SERVPRO, make sure you are prepared in case someone in your story does.
Add SERVPRO of North Prince William County (703) 368-4399 to your contacts today!
Fire Extinguisher Tips
Fire tipes from SERVPRO
Fire extinguisher tips
Only use a fire extinguisher if.....
*The fire is contained to a small area, such as a wastebasket, and is not growing.
*Everyone has exited the building
*The fire department has been called or is being called; and the room is not filled with smoke.